- 5 lb russet potatoes, peeled
- Oil for frying, or animal fat (duck fat or beef tallow are good)
- Kosher salt
1. Cut the potatoes into fries approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. Place the fries in a bowl and rinse under cold running water till the water is clear. This process will rinse away a lot of starches.
2. Fill a big pot with cold water, add a little salt and place the potatoes in the water. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes till they are tender and almost fall apart. (about 20-30 min) This process is super important because it’s what makes to fries fluffy in the end.
3. Once the potatoes are cook use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a cake rack and place the rack in fridge to cool down the fries. Leave them for at least 45 min.
4. Heat up oil/fat to 275°F in a pot or deep-fat fryer.
5. Working in batches, fry the chilled potatoes for 8 min until a light crust forms. Remove from oil, return to cake rack and cool down in fridge.
You can do this up to 3 days for and just leave them in the fridge in a sealed container.
6. Heat the oil/fat to 375°F and fry the potatoes for about 4-6 min till they are golden brown and crispy.
7. Toss with some sea salt.