- 6 ounces of spaghetti
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, divided
- 12 whole black black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Season with a little salt, there is plenty of salt in cheese; add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the starchy pasta cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, add the whole black peppercorns in a large heavy skillet over medium heat swirling pan, until toasted, about 1 minute. Crack the peppers corns and add them back to the pan.
3. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add pasta and butter. Remove the pan from the heat stirring and tossing with tongs until melted; add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.)
Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.