- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (FRESH SQUEEZED)
- 10oz clarified butter (see my guide on how to clarify butter here)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- White Pepper (fresh ground), to taste
- Make sure the clarified butter is ready to go.
- Set the pan over moderately low heat and whisk the yolks, water, and lemon juice in the saucepan until the mixture thickness. The eggs will become frothy and increase in volume, and pull ribbons through it.
- This is when it gets difficult. While whisking constantly add spoonfuls of the clarified butter, whisk till each spoonful is fully incorporate. As the emulsion forms, you may add the butter in slightly larger amounts, always whisking until fully absorbed. Continue incorporating butter until the sauce has thickened to the consistency you want. To moderate the heat, frequently move the pan off the burner for a few seconds, and then back on.
- Season lightly with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper, whisking in well. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding droplets of lemon juice if needed. Serve immediately & lukewarm.